From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Reverse Tethering - How to?
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2014 12:32:25
1 Helmut Jarausch <jarausch <at> igpm.rwth-aachen.de> writes:
2
3 > > > > > how do I need to configure my Gentoo box to allow for reverse
4 > > > > tethering from my (rooted) Android phone?
5
6 PPP over usb is the most probable route. PPP is basically
7 TCP/IP (usually over a serial link/prototol_carrier).
8 This might help: "How to set up Android ppp over usb with adb"
9
10 http://www.xinotes.net/notes/note/1500/
11
12 You still ahve to set up NAT ont he linux box, probable with
13 iptalbes. MIcks post looks reasonable, but there may (will)
14 be addtional issues; just flesh them out, one at a time.
15
16 All of this over a serial (RS232_C) link between the phone
17 and the PC is old stuff and may best to get working first,
18 then migrate it over USB.
21 Also find a good usb_sniffer so you can ensure the bits are bidirectional
22 across the usb ports.
23
24 Last. There is a "GentRoid" project and I'm quite certain that (gentoo)
25 embeded dude, will be a fantastic resource, if all else fails.
26
27 Also one of the main devs for Selinux (Russell Coker) is a great
28 help as he has wrote of the early Selinux and put it on an Android phone.
29 It takes him a while to respond, but that info might aid your google
30 searches for solutions too. Use Russell as a last resort.
31
32 PPP/USB is what you are talking about. USB chips confiturations
33 inside a specific Android phone, might be limited (locked to keep
34 cpu cycles down) so you might also have to find an app that allows
35 you to "change settings" on the usb port on your Android phone. You
36 may have to "root" your Android phone to get this working.....
39 Last, you might have to "tweak" your gentoo linux kernel (usb, ppp,
40 iptables) etc etc. It'd be great when you get it working to put
41 something up on wiki.gentoo.org.
44 good hunting!
45 James
46
47 PS: my challenge word, via gmane posting, today is "posers"
48 I guess gmane knows today is an *ebuild hackfest day* for me....