From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How can I power disk off?
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2011 19:36:40
1 Jarry writes:
2
3 > In my server I have a few disks which must be running 24/7,
4 > but I also have a single big hard-drive, which is used only
5 > for a few minutes every day, just for backups. How could I
6 > power disk off when not needed (and "on" again when needed)
7 > in order to save a little power and prolong its life?
8
9 Use hdparm -Y to spin it down immediately, or hdparm -S<n> to set a
10 duration of idle time until it will spin down automatically. See the
11 hdparm man page for the -S parameter and more information.
12
13 You can set the -S command in /etc/conf.d/hdparm. If you want the drive
14 to spin down right after booting, do this in /etc/local.d/.
15
16 Wonko