From: Michael Schreckenbauer <grimlog@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Very bad system response
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2007 20:43:05
1 Hi List,
2 I have a very strange thing here. I don't know when this started, but my
3 feeling is, that it was around kernel 2.6.15 and it's getting worse with each
4 version.
5 From time to time my system comes to a complete halt, that means not a single
6 application shows any response to mouse and/or keyactions, sshing into it
7 takes forever. After a while (up to ~30s ) normal reaction is back again.
8 Strange thing is, there is no activity at the times this happens. Reading
9 email and browsing the web is all that is needed. CPU is at 3-5% according to
10 top, mem has ~1GB free according to free.
11 I can somehow force this behaviour by doing some harddisc io, eg untaring a
12 kernel-tarball. But it does not happen everytime I do this.
13 This is really, really annoying. I have no idea, if this is a kernel, a FS or
14 any other issue. Any help with this is most welcome.
15 Some additional info: fs is xfs, kernel is 2.6.19-gentoo-r4 and I'm a
16 KDE-User, but this also happens with xfce4 ;)
17
18 Thanks,
19 Michael
20 --