From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Coming up with a password that is very strong.
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2019 21:17:14
1 On Wed, 6 Feb 2019 04:28:49 +0800, Mark David Dumlao wrote:
2
3 > My own solution is actually very simple. I have a "secret algorithm"
4 > that incorporates several secrets with a predictable way to generate a
5 > site-specific secret. The end result is a 100% predictable way to
6 > generate unique passwords for every site that are cryptographically
7 > secure from each other (you cannot derive
8 > one from the other) which can be generated by any device using the
9 > appropriate tools.
10
11 The was a tool in portage this did this. I tried it but it did not work
12 in the real world because you couldn't set a rule for generated passwords
13 that matched the requirements of all sites, for example some require a
14 non-alphanumeric character while other sites only allow alphanumerics.
15
16 I can remember what the tools was called, although I'm pretty sure it
17 was written in Python. I'd be interested to know how you get around the
18 conflicting restrictions as this seems a good way to do things.
22 Neil Bothwick
23
24 MIPS: Meaningless Indication of Processor Speed