From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] net-nntp/klibido
Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 05:17:44
1 On 5/27/06, JimD <Jim@×××××××××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > Richard Fish wrote:
3 >
4 > > I'll let you know in a week or so once my emerge -e world finishes... :-)
5 >
6 > Same here. Rebuilding world should take a while.
7
8 Hold the phone!! OOo just completed building on my system in 4h 08m
9 07s. When I get some time I'm going to have try that again with gcc
10 3.4.6 for a comparison...
11
12 > > Actually the last time I did this, it took about 16 hours to rebuild
13 > > everything....of course that was with openoffice-bin which I don't use
14 > > anymore. Building OOo from source should add about 7 hours.
15 >
16 > Do you find any benefit from building OOo yourself? I built OOo once
17 > about 2 years ago, and it took ages then. Since then I have always just
18 > use OOo-bin.
19
20 Mostly size. From my quickpkg collection:
21
22 carcharias All # bzcat openoffice-bin-2.0.2.tbz2 | wc -c
23 bzcat: openoffice-bin-2.0.2.tbz2: trailing garbage after EOF ignored
24 317675520
25 carcharias All # bzcat openoffice-2.0.2-r2.tbz2 | wc -c
26 bzcat: openoffice-2.0.2-r2.tbz2: trailing garbage after EOF ignored
27 286371840
28
29 Saved about 40M by compiling myself, by eliminating the duplicate
30 stuff in /usr/lib/openoffice (e.g., python).
31
32 But I have been loading OOo2 at login using the 'ooffice2 -nologo
33 -nodefault' method, so I didn't see (or expect to see) any
34 improvements in startup speed. It is already typically one second or
35 less on my system.
36
37 -Richard
40 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list