From: Alec Ten Harmsel <alec@××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] meld - GConf Error: Client failed to connect to the D-BUS
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2015 22:57:38
1 On 01/31/2015 05:29 PM, Joseph wrote:
2 > When I run "meld" as root I get a strange errors:
6 what happens when you don't run as root?
9 > GConf Error: Client failed to connect to the D-BUS daemon:
10 >
11 > Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote
12 > application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy
13 > blocked the reply, the
14 > reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
22 do you have DBus installed/running? I've been doing a fair amount of
23 coding with the DBus API for bossman, but sadly I feel no wiser on the
24 various errors that it throws. The other things I can think of are:
25
26 * GConf isn't installed/running
27 * meld is looking for the session bus of your user, which is not
28 accessible when running as root (maybe??? Not 100% sure on how session
29 busses work...)
30
31 If you run systemd, DBus is definitely running and I would imagine this
32 would be a GConf error of some sort. If you're using OpenRC, check to
33 make sure you have dbus and gconf enabled and running.
34
35 Alec