From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Managing multiple systems with identical hardware
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2013 10:37:26
1 >> I realized I only need two types of systems in my life. One hosted
2 >> server and bunch of identical laptops. My laptop, my wife's laptop,
3 >> our HTPC, routers, and office workstations could all be on identical
4 >> hardware, and what better choice than a laptop? Extremely
5 >> space-efficient, portable, built-in UPS (battery), and no need to buy
6 >> a separate monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers, camera, etc. Some
7 >> systems will use all of that stuff and some will use none, but it's
8 >> OK, laptops are getting cheap, and keyboard/mouse/video comes in handy
9 >> once in a while on any system.
10 >
11 > Laptops are a good choice, desktops are almost dead out there, and thin
12 > clients nettops are just dead in the water for anything other than
13 > appliances and media servers
14 >
15 >> What if my laptop is the master system and I install any application
16 >> that any of the other laptops need on my laptop and push its entire
17 >> install to all of the other laptops via rsync whenever it changes?
18 >> The only things that would vary by laptop would be users and
19 >> configuration.
20 >
21 > Could work, but don't push *your* laptop's config to all the other
22 > laptops. they end up with your stuff which might not be what them to
23 > have. Rather have a completely separate area where you store portage
24 > configs, tree, packages and distfiles for laptops/clients and push from
25 > there.
26
27 I actually do want them all to have my stuff and I want to have all
28 their stuff. That way everything is in sync and I can manage all of
29 them by just managing mine and pushing. How about pushing only
30 portage configs and then letting each of them emerge unattended? I
31 know unattended emerges are the kiss of death but if all of the
32 identical laptops have the same portage config and I emerge everything
33 successfully on my own laptop first, the unattended emerges should be
34 fine.
35
36 > I'd recommend if you have a decent-ish desktop lying around, you press
37 > that into service as your master build host. yeah, it takes 10% longer
38 > to build stuff, but so what? Do it overnight.
39
40 Well, my goal is to minimize the number of different systems I
41 maintain. Hopefully just one type of laptop and a server.
42
43 >> Maybe puppet could help with that? It would almost be
44 >> like my own distro. Some laptops would have stuff installed that they
45 >> don't need but at least they aren't running Fedora! :)
46 >
47 > DO NOT PROVISION GENTOO SYSTEMS FROM PUPPET.
48
49 OK, I'm thinking over how much variation there would be from laptop to laptop:
50
51 1. /etc/runlevels/default/* would vary of course.
52 2. /etc/conf.d/net would vary for the routers and my laptop which I
53 sometimes use as a router.
54 3. /etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf under the same conditions as #2.
55 4. Users and /home would vary but the office workstations could all be
56 identical in this regard.
57
58 Am I missing anything? I can imagine everything else being totally identical.
59
60 What could I use to manage these differences?
61
62 > Rather keep your laptop as your laptop with it's own setup, and
63 > everything else as that own setup. You only need one small difference
64 > between what you want your laptop to have, and everything else to have,
65 > to crash that entire model.
66
67 I think it will work if I can find a way to manage the few differences
68 above. Am I overlooking any potential issues?
69
70 - Grant