From: Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] want to upgrade 50 month old installation
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2015 19:33:47
1 On 08/04/2015 11:30 AM, Felix Miata wrote:
2 > Grant Edwards composed on 2015-08-04 17:20 (UTC):
3 >
4 >> and faster. A fresh install will take a couple hours. An upgrade will
5 >> take somewhere between a couple days and a couple weeks.
6 >
7 > Seriously, more than a day?
10 Oh sure, it's possible.
11
12 In late 2013 I upgraded some old installs installed in 2007/2008. They
13 were left stagnant for a long time due to some really finicky software
14 (tried an upgrade and it broke so many things on that software it wasn't
15 funny.)
16
17 However, this process took almost a week to iron the bugs out.
18
19 Portage had a bit of a fit and refused to do anything. There were so
20 many changes with core things (like udev, python, perl, and numerous
21 others) that it just crapped out.
22
23 I found that I had to do it in little pieces at a time and portage got
24 in my way constantly. I wish there was a setting to just forcibly
25 compile a package and then manually deal with breakage afterward with
26 something like revdep-rebuild, rather than trying to solve problems it
27 can't deal with beforehand. It would have been a lot easier.
28
29 So after upgrading some core items which took several hours of figuring
30 out what to remove, what to upgrade, and what to switch to (in some
31 cases) then I could install a new kernel and boot, after that I still
32 had portage getting in the way and wound up installing packages manually
33 instead of emerging world.
34
35 I would've just started fresh if the software package I was using
36 actually had an installer that worked. I had to do a lot of tricks to
37 get it installed initially and didn't want to repeat that process.
38
39 Dan