From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] IP Load Sharing - Per Packet Load Balancing (Linux router)
Date: Sun, 26 May 2013 22:52:05
1 On Sunday 26 May 2013 22:35:14 J. Roeleveld wrote:
2 > > On 25 May 2013, at 22:26, Nick Khamis wrote:
3 > >> ... As mentioned this
4 > >> would be two separate DSL services, connected using separate bridges.
5 > >> I think I am describing more of a link aggregation or bonding....
6 > >>
7 > >> Also assuming that the service providers support bonding of the links….
8 > >
9 > > Here in the UK this is a somewhat common thing - there are a number of
10 >
11 > ISPs which
12 >
13 > > offer bonded xDSL services.
14 > >
15 > > It's certainly possible to use a Linux router to manage such a
16 > > connection, although I don't know the details.
17 > >
18 > > http://www22.brinkster.com/findall/bondedcd.html
19 > >
20 > > http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/reviews/adsl-bonding-how-to-and-revie
21 > > w.html
22 >
23 > Bonding network devices together is quite simple, but it needs to be
24 > configured on both ends.
25 > In other words, to merge 2 DSL-connections together using bonding, you
26 > need to get both from the same ISP and the ISP would need to support it on
27 > their end.
28 >
29 > If bonding can't be done on the ISP-side, you can use seperate
30 > load-balancing/failover using other techniques.
31
32 There's different ways of going about it, without or without MLPPP, depending
33 on what your ISP offers:
34
35 http://wiki.aa.org.uk/index.php/Linux_upload_bonding_using_multipath_routing
36
37 http://wiki.aa.org.uk/index.php/Linux_upload_bonding_using_policy_routing
40 It used to be the case that Cisco 1800/2800 routers were used at customers'
41 premises for MLPPP with certain UK ISPs, but since BT started implementing
42 21CN (ADSL2+) they are using ERX core routers (Juniper) and no longer support
43 MLPPP. I understand that MPLS is used instead these days, but have no
44 experience in its implementation.
45 --
46 Regards,
47 Mick