From: joost@××××××××.org
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o, Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>, gentoo-user <Gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to determine 'Least Common Denominator' between Xen(Server) Hosts
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 05:52:20
1 Pandu.
2
3 I don't have the link handy. But there is a list of safe CFLAGS. Pick the one for the older CPU.
4 That should be safe.
7 Joost
8
9 Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
10 >Hello list!
11 >
12 >My company has 2 HP DL585 G5 servers and 5 Dell R... something servers.
13 >All
14 >using AMD processors. They currently are acting as XenServer hosts.
15 >
16 >How do I determine the 'least common denominator' for Gentoo VMs
17 >(running
18 >as XenServer guests), especially for gcc flags?
19 >
20 >I know that the (theoretical) best performance is to use -march=native
21 >,
22 >but since the processors of the HP servers are not exactly the same as
23 >the
24 >Dell's, I'm concerned that compiling with -march=native will render the
25 >VMs
26 >unable to migrate between the different hosts.
27 >
28 >Note: Yes I know the HP servers are much older than the Dell ones, but
29 >if I
30 >go -march=native then perform an emerge when the guest is on the Dell
31 >host,
32 >the guest VM might not be able to migrate to the older HPs.
33 >
34 >Rgds,
35 >--
38 Sent from my Android phone with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.