From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Change from udev to eudev?
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2016 02:04:34
1 waltdnes@××××××××.org wrote:
2 > On Tue, Jun 07, 2016 at 05:05:47PM -0500, Dale wrote
3 >
4 >> I switched mine back when eudev was new and not even stable yet. It was
5 >> as simple as unmerge udev and emerge eudev. I don't recall even doing a
6 >> reboot, which I rarely do here anyway.
7 > *** WARNING *** After unmerging udev, do *NOT*, repeat *NOT*, reboot
8 > *** UNTIL AFTER INSTALLING EUDEV *** (same applies to going the other
9 > way). You cannot boot Gentoo without a device manager in place. Once
10 > you've installed eudev, you'll get an urgent message to execute...
11 >
12 > /etc/init.d/udev --nodeps restart
13 >
14 > At this point, you can safely reboot, but a restart is less of a pain.
18 That is a good point to make. The best way to be sure, emerge -C udev
19 && emerge eudev and don't do anything until at least that finishes.
20 Rebooting in the middle would be bad.
21
22 Can a system even boot without udev? I would think the bootloader would
23 get it to a certain point but then die later on. :/
24
25 Dale
26