From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] USB drive dead? (Commands to check?)
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 19:05:06
1 On Tuesday 22 September 2009, Mark Knecht wrote:
2
3 > What's with Linux support of external drives? Is it just not reliable
4 > enough to depend on? This was not a drive failure but just a bunch of
5 > sense code message problems and everything quit. I probably could have
6 > spent time removing drivers, etc, and then restarting it but I just
7 > rebooted and everything came back.
8 >
9 > I used to use this drive for weeks at a time on one of my Windows
10 > boxes. No problems at that time so I have no strong reason to suspect
11 > the drive when this is the second drive issue in a few days wit this
12 > system.
13 >
14 > I wonder how I determine if it's a drive problem or a kernel/driver
15 > problem?
16
17 I wonder if you have a memory problem with that box? I don't know what errors
18 you've been getting in the logs, but it is a thought when the common
19 denominator is the box. Have you tried running memtest86+ overnight to see
20 what gives?
21
22 Another reason might be the physical location. If the drives in question are
23 submitted to physical vibration (e.g. next to a door; staircase, etc) then
24 the failures could be due to mechanical reasons.
25
26 HTH.
27 --
28 Regards,