From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: How to alter ./configure flags from emerge
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 15:03:04
1 Harry Putnam schreef:
2 > Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl> writes:
3 >
4 >> Of course, you might want to upgrade to -r2, since clearly some
5 >> things didn't work in -r1 (in ebuild terms)
6 >>
7 >> You might also want to stick with stable until things settle down a
8 >> bit.
9 >>
10 > Holly, Thanks for the usual helpful effort. Maybe you can tell me
11 > how one controlls what ebuild is used. For example:
12 <snip>
13 > I was able to to at least start mysql-5.0.15.ebuild, how would I
14 > select it out of the others thru emerge?
15
16 Lots of ways-- to return to the stable build, try
17
18 # echo 'dev-db/mysql x86' >>/etc/portage/package.keywords
19
20 This will essentially change the ACCEPT_KEYWORDS setting for this
21 package only to stable. You may also have to add settings for the
22 dependencies, as they will still be unstable versions if you do not, and
23 I don't know how well the stable mysql build plays with the unstable
24 versions of its dependencies.
25
26 To only allow version 5.0.15, try
27
28 # echo '>dev-db/mysql-5.0.15' >>/etc/portage/package.mask
29
30 This will mask all unstable versions above 5.0.15. You will have to be
31 responsible for unmasking later versions when you feel that they have
32 stabilized to your needs (meaning, you have to keep an eye on the status
33 of the ebuilds, because even when later versions go stable, you won't
34 have them available to you in Portage).
35
36 So I would almost say go back to stable, and when the currently unstable
37 upgrades become stable, just upgrade normally. Unless you have some
38 burning reason to have version 5 now, today, no matter what the
39 circumstances.
40 >
41 > I foolishly ran the last -u world with ACCEPT_KEYWORDS=~x86 and have
42 > since set that globally. So I'm now bleeding edge and it appears
43 > that it would take some doing to undo that at this point so thought
44 > I'd go with it for a while and see if I could get ontop of it.
45 >
46 > I know about using the actual path and that is how I'm installing it
47 > as I write but one always gets those troublesome messages about
48 > installing by path being broken....
51 Ummmm.... no you don't so much need to use the actual path as you need
52 to use the correct syntax to emerge a particular version of a package:
53
54 emerge =dev-db/mysql-5.0.15
55
56 or emerge (<=>)[= - the exact version; >= - any version greater than or
57 equal to; <= - any version less than or equal to; > - any version
58 greater than; < - any version less than]cate-gory/package-version.number
59
60 Naturally if you do something like this, though, you'll want to utilize
61 package.mask to block other versions so that Portage doesn't try to
62 upgrade or downgrade the package you've specifically emerged in a
63 particular version.
66 HTH,
67 Holly
68 --