From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New AMD hardware. Can't boot.
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2017 23:00:40
1 On Monday 24 Apr 2017 19:56:22 Alan Mackenzie wrote:
2 > Hello, Peter.
3 >
4 > On Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 06:56:32 +0100, Peter Humphrey wrote:
5 >
6 > [ .... ]
7 >
8 > > I also have an Asus motherboard, but for Intel hardware.
9 > >
10 > > In your BIOS secure-boot page, do you have a section called Key
11 > > Management?
12 > > When I was working on getting my machine to boot, a year ago, I was
13 > > advised* to hit the item "Load default keys". This was to clear out any
14 > > dross that might have found its way into the secure-boot mechanism and
15 > > enable me to boot in Other mode - i.e. not a Microsoft secure boot.
16 >
17 > I tried this, yes.
18 >
19 > > As Mick says, you need to install a kernel image in the boot partition
20 > > (which must be FAT32). There are several ways to do this; I use bootctl
21 > > from sys-boot/systemd-boot (don't worry - it doesn't depend on having the
22 > > rest of systemd around it). It allows a choice of system to boot, without
23 > > the gymnastics needed by GRUB-2, but you have to maintain the different
24 > > images' config files manually.
25 >
26 > I actually used the standard grub2 stuff as documented in the Gentoo
27 > handbook.
28 >
29 > I've managed to get the BIOS to see and boot into grub2. The critical
30 > step which enabled this was copying grubx64.efi into
31 > /boot/efi/boot/bootx64.efi, as hinted at by the Gentoo handbook. It
32 > seems the Asus BIOS is one which will only recognise the boot image at
33 > precisely that location.
34 >
35 > Gentoo itself, of course, doesn't boot yet. Nothing is ever that
36 > simple. In the grub2 article in the Gentoo wiki, there is a most
37 > infuriating injunction, which could scarcely be worse, except by being
38 > absent entirely:
39 >
40 > "The grub-mkconfig utility does not work properly when using
41 > software RAID. Manual configuration of the scripts in /etc/grub.d/
42 > is necessary, as otherwise after installation, the system will be
43 > left in a non-bootable state."
44 >
45 > . It would have been nice if the author of that warning could have left
46 > one or two hints about precisely needs doing. The scripts in
47 > /etc/grub.d/ are massive (~1200 lines), and I'll probably need to read
48 > the grub manual, which is over 7000 lines long. Come back, lilo, all is
49 > forgiven!
50 >
51 > Could somebody here please give me some hints about what I need to do to
52 > these grub scripts to get my mdadm RAID-1 root partition recognised and
53 > started by grub?
54 >
55 > > Let me know if I can' help with bootctl. Good luck!
56 >
57 > grub2 is a monstrosity. All I want to do is to boot Gentoo Linux, not
58 > go through all the machinations required by grub.
59 >
60 > I think I'll look at bootctl. It's looks far more likely to give me
61 > what I want than grub2. Does it cope OK with mdadm RAID setups?
62
63 Have a look here in case it helps:
64
65 https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB#RAID