From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: first water cooled system
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2012 18:16:22
1 Am Dienstag, 4. Dezember 2012, 17:58:49 schrieb James:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > My first water cooled AMD (FX8350) system build,
5 > my first Gigabyte mobo, so I have questions.
6 >
7 > Equipment
8 >
9 > Cooler: Thermaltake Water 2.0 Performer
10 > Chasis: Thermaltake Level 10 GTS V03000
11 > Mobo: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
12 > CPU: AMD FX8350
13 >
14 > Ok, so the chasis came with a rear fan that
15 > is the same size as the (2) fans supplied
16 > in the water cooler package. Can I just
17 > use the original fan and one of the new fans?
18
19 yes. The fans in the package usually suck.
22 > Sequence of Construction:
23 >
24 > Mount mobo in chasis first. Install CPU
25 > into mobo. Mount radiator and second fan
26 > to the original rear chassis fan.
27 > Then use the supplier grease on the cooler
28 > to mate the pump to the cpu (bracket
29 > details followed). Other steps or
30 > order of installation tips?
31
32 are you going to blow the air in or out?
35 > I did purchase a syringe of fancy
36 > thermal grease (Arctic Silver 5).
37 > Should I wipe the pump clean and use
38 > this grease instead of what the kit
39 > shipped with?
42 you know - deep down, it does not matter.
45 > OS Installation.
46 >
47 > OK so now I'd have the system completed.
48 > Since cooling is critical, I guess I first
49 > power up go into the bios and setup the specs
50 > (4.0 GHZ with no over-clocking for now) and monitor
51 > the temperature to ensure the pump/cooler are
52 > working?
53 >
54 > Just being cautious as to not end up with burnt toast;
55 > so any and all words of advise are welcome.
58 hint: have the pump always run at full power but use fancontrol to control the
59 fans - a lot of these pumps become pretty loud when they slow down.
60
61 Also, set fancontrol to start the fan at something like 40°C with 65°C max -
62 and most of the time the fans won't even spin, reducing the noise even more.
63 40, 60, 70°C won't hurt your CPU at all.
66 #163933