From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Heads Up - switching to profile 17.1 is not as easy as it sounds
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2019 00:28:48
1 On Tue, Jun 11, 2019 at 7:00 PM Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 11/06/2019 13:34, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
4 > > I had some trouble switching to the new profile 17.1.
5 > > Following the advice in the news item didn't suffice.
6 >
7 > I'm not sure if switching to 17.1 would get me anything. I assume 17.0
8 > will still be there for a long time to come?
9
10 Eventually it will go away, likely without much warning (just as there
11 was little warning with the recent move to get rid of 13.0).
12
13 However, you're probably fine for many months.
14
15 There is a small risk that something might break on 17.0 because
16 nobody will be testing with that config.
17
18 Other than that I don't see much obvious benefit from the change. It
19 is mostly to bring Gentoo more in line with what has emerged as the
20 standard way of doing things. A lot of the old design predates the
21 standards.
24 Rich