From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] which VM do you recommend?
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 08:23:08
1 On 30/07/2013 08:45, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I've been running a Windows 7 (professional)guest with Virtualbox on my
5 > GenToo system for some years.
6 > But recently I have a broken network either due to Virtualbox or due to
7 > some
8 > (automatic) Windows updates.
9 >
10 > The situation is more than strange.
11 >
12 > Sometime using a backed up Virtualbox image the network seems to work
13 > but only for
14 > a very short time (some minutes?)
15 >
16 > Windows error analyzing tools don't see any network problems but it does
17 > not work.
18 >
19 > Trying ping -n 100 <IP> only a few packets come back but with a large
20 > delay (40-50 times
21 > larger delay compared to ping on the GenToo host)
22 >
23 > I've tried the most recent Virtualbox 4.2.16 as well the oldest one (in
24 > the tree) which is 4.1.26
25 >
26 > So probably it looks best to me to change to a different (free) VM.
27 > What do you recommend?
28 >
29 > Many thanks for a hint,
30 > Helmut
33 Your post is a bit vague, what outcome are you looking for?
34
35 Do you want to fix the VirtualBox setup and carry on as always?
36 Just looking for a change from VBox and this latest is a good excuse?
37
38 I have Win7 pro running on virtualbox 4.2.16, no issues here.
39 Host kernel is 3.9.11-gentoo-r1, and the NIC presented to Windows is a
40 nat'ted Intel PRO/1000
43 Alan McKinnon
44 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com