From: james <garftd@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Upgrading old kernel
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2020 18:08:32
1 On 4/15/20 10:59 PM, Thomas Mueller wrote:
2 > On 4/15/20 1:40 PM, Andreas Stiasny wrote:
3 >> On 15.04.20 17:50, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 >
5 >>> Jumping from
6 >>> 3.18 you're somewhat more likely to run into issues - your biggest
7 >>> headache though will be dealing with the 30,000 prompts you get from
8 >>> make oldconfig and making sure you set all the new options correctly.
9 >
10 >> That's why I use make olddefconfig in such a case. This takes all the
11 >> old config values and uses the default for the new ones. If you know
12 >> that you need one or more of the new config options you can fine tune
13 >> them afterwards with make menuconfig.
16 >> Andreas
17 >
18 > james responded:
19 >
20 >> Ah. never used olddefconfig, I'll give it a spin.
21 >
22 > That raises the question, what if you have no kernel config, as may be the case if you are going to Gentoo for the first time, or are cross-compiling from FreeBSD or NetBSD?
23 >
24 > I have tried with OpenADK (www.openadk.org), which got as far as successfully building cross-gcc some of the time, but never succeeded at building the kernel.
25 >
26 > Is defconfig the best starting point? One would want to maximize the probability of success building the kernel while retaining a functional system that would support vital hardware including ethernet, wi-fi, hard drives and USB, and I would need to be able to read a NetBSD or FreeBSD file system (UFS/FFSv1 or 2). I use GPT, so there are no traditional now-deprecated BSD disklabels that Linux would not recognize.
27 >
28 > If I just start with menuconfig, I could miss some vital parts.
29 >
30 > OpenADK started with a minimal kernel config, maybe it was too minimal?
31 >
32 > I have successfully compiled kernels and userlands on FreeBSD and NetBSD (no menuconfig, defconfig, etc; kernel configs start with a GENERIC config). NetBSD kernel config is much longer than FreeBSD kernel config but is dwarfed by Linux kernel config.
33 >
34 > Tom
35
36 OK, time to spill 'the beans'.
37
38 OpenADK does not look like a kernel building tool. Booting a minimal
39 state-machine for an embedded device, starts at the bottom of the code
40 blocks.
43 Building a linux kernel, that runs on the bottom of processors, guaged
44 by resources and capabilities has always been a 'pita' that is nothing
45 but duress. As you down the tree of what micro-processors can do, and
46 the limited (kernel/system) resources, limited instruction sets, etc,
47 etc that need is not common and you are best off following a well worn
48 path. Folks that do not deeply understand the lack or limited (uP)
49 resources and the subsequent limitied options available, need to get
50 into a good, university program or go write assemble code on uPs for a
51 few years. In essence, that sort of approach is a giant waste of time.
52 I.E. follow a well worn path and learn to code in C and assembler.
53 Executive, minimal OS and such, written in forth or other such languages
54 are shear folly. C and Assembler, for find something else to do with
55 your time, wisely.
58 However, that said, integrating certain processor family trees into what
59 other, more sophisticated 64 bit arm projects are doing, particularly
60 with low level codes, is a wise idea. Pick your battles wisely. Caveat
61 Emptor!
64 Back to my thread::
65 An older, existing system is very rich in unique work and codes, at
66 least for me, so I keep old image-systems, around for decades. A Gentoo
67 packrat, as I can quote from very smart people back to 2004, when
68 necessary. Their words were and are true, but, let's focus on
69 virgin/noob (kernel-centric) systems issues.
72 Fast Forward.
73 I use the install disk from CloverOS which does a wonderful job of auto*
74 for recent kernels and many packages. However it is not portage_raw or
75 the myriad of other places to download and install or hack ebuilds; not
76 necessarily of the Gentoo-approved feedstock. ymmv.
79 CloverOS will give you a clean, new kernel, but lacks a window system (I
80 do not use anything big, regardless of system resources) that is
81 functional but not robust, imho.
84 But 10 (15 max) minutes for a gentoo install is just freaking awesome,
85 btrfs and a new kernel 5.* kernel.
86 I have not tried to just copy over a kernel and associated file, but
87 that is on the list as I have (3) identical AMD systems, 64bit, with AMD
88 video cards and 32 G of DDR3 memory. But I shall just try to copy over a
89 kernel derived from the CloverOS gentoo to an indentical hardware system
90 running a version 3.18 james-derived-and-build linux kernel, just to see
91 what happens.
94 So a hybrid technique to rapidly test pre-built kernels, in an automated
95 fashion, then going back and duplicating the same kernel-builds-tests
96 from a kernel-gentoo-source-package, would be and attractive experiment
97 to me.
100 One off (which is what we do as a gentoo collective of hacks) kernels
101 with the build-test-repeat cycle seems like an arcane semantic for a
102 collective of experts (or fledgling gentoo-soon-to-be-experts)in this
103 day and age (strictly of my opine).
106 Where I'm going, managing a collective of hundreds or thousands of
107 gentoo derivative systems (from small arm embedded) to workstations and
108 servers, is way, way past due an automated and auto-managed tool-system.
109 So, I'm not the best person to weigh in here. This problem has been
110 solved, hundreds of times, by really smart people, but most all have
111 gone commercial::
114 Gentoo spawned CoreOS (multi-booting-many-kernel choices-automated)
115 which was purchased by Redhat, which experienced a hostile takeover by
116 IBM. IBM is now filing bankruptcy, to get billions of tax payer dollars
117 from the US taxpayers, whilst running full steam ahead with a
118 gentoo-derivative OS. I'm not sure why the good work at CoreOS, did not
119 make it back into the Gentoo mainstream.
120 (Rich or some other smart Gentooer could/should enlighten us?).
123 So is it not time for a few, very smart Gentoo devs to build us a simple
124 tool? Not one that does everything, but that does enough to make/track
125 new kernel builds streamlined and easy? Every system should have a dozen
126 or more viable kernels for a wide variety of reasons (imho.).
129 Then the greater gentoo community could go off, each in their own,
130 tractor inspired, direction with 'tuned, optimized and secure' unique
131 kernels to plow the fields they plant? (a plea for help?)? leadership?
134 Was Andrew Gaffney booted out of Gentoo, for similar ideas as James?
135 Surely he has superior skills.....
136
137 https://blogs.gentoo.org/agaffney/2006/01/18/installer_philosophy/
141 I could tagged hundreds, but what's the point.....
144 James