From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Core 2 duo: Building threaded program versions
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2007 21:33:56
1 On Monday 08 January 2007 14:16, "Nico Schümann"
2 <nico.schuemann@××××××××××.com> wrote about '[gentoo-user] Core 2 duo:
3 Building threaded program versions':
4 > Then I tried to bunzip a large file and found out that the machine was
5 > about 40 % in idle which is clear because bzip2 is only one process.
6 > So is there any way to build those utilities like bzip2 or gzip in a
7 > thread-using way?
8
9 In general, no. If there was a magic way to turn non-parallel activities
10 into parallel activities it would be done by the kernel and/or gcc
11 automagically AND we would have seen desktops be multi-core years ago.
12
13 > It's not that nice to see the machine in idle at
14 > all^^
15
16 Multi-task.
17 I'm doing very little right now and I have 207 processes running.
18 The great thing about my 4 cores is I be doing all kinds of crazy stuff in
19 the background and my games/full-screen video never miss a beat.
22 "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
23 it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
24 clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
25 -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh