From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Hoping someone can help explain distcc to me
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 19:49:05
1 On Sat, Aug 20, 2011 at 5:56 PM, Paul Hartman
2 <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 > I'd like to use distcc to make the desktop do all the compiling during
5 > emerges. I've never been able to get distcc working properly, or, at
6 > least, I've never been able to get it working to the point where using
7 > distcc is any faster than not using it at all.
8
9 Thanks to all who replied for your suggestions and info! After
10 experimenting with various combinations of settings it seems to be
11 working now. I think I was too aggressive with the number of parallel
12 make jobs, the laptop just couldn't coordinate that many. I also
13 stopped distccd on the laptop, in case it was picking up jobs
14 unintentionally.
15
16 Here's the results, a real-life test with ImageMagick 6.7.1.0. The
17 machines were idle, files were already downloaded, and I don't use
18 ccache, so it should be actual compile time comparison only:
19
20 Normal emerge on laptop, no parallel jobs in MAKEOPTS, no distcc:
21 merge time: 8 minutes and 27 seconds.
22
23 With -j3 in MAKEOPTS, using distcc:
24 merge time: 4 minutes and 40 seconds.
25
26 Great!
27
28 Of course, on the desktop it only takes 1 minutes 17 seconds, but an
29 almost 50% reduction in emerge time on the laptop is still great to
30 see.