From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: video driver discovery
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 16:49:06
1 On Tuesday 23 December 2008 03:11:00 James wrote:
2 > Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon <at> gmail.com> writes:
3 > > In cases where a quick command to display something doesn't exist, it's
4 > > usually because it never occurred to the developer that there could be
5 > > another way I find in my own experience that I usually know what driver
6 > > is being used - I set the machines up after all - and if I do need to
7 > > verify the driver, I also want the error messages related to it. Which
8 > > are sitting in the log file
9 >
10 > If we followed that logic, why would we have things like
11 > 'lspci'....? After all, we could go grepping (egrep fgrep etc)
12 > who needs lspci anyway, certainly not an experienced admin....
15 > I get it. parse the file. No big deal, just surprised me.
16
17 lspci lists hardware found on the PCI bus. It is far and away the best tool
18 for finding out exactly what PCI hardware you have. Same for various other
19 ls* tools for other buses.
20
21 But like I said in the other mail, what is your point exactly? I'm sure a
22 gnome-style app exists that interrogates HAL to find all this stuff out, I
23 just don't know of one and would seldom use it. KDE also has some such thing,
24 IIRC you get to it via Control Centre.
25
26 I have my preferred method, it might not be a decent solution for you though.
29 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com