From: Daryl <lists@××××××××××.online>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: looking for email provider
Date: Sun, 02 Feb 2020 18:54:22
1 On Sat, 01 Feb 2020 17:08:37 -0500
2 Jack <ostroffjh@×××××××××××××××××.net> wrote:
3
4 > Relying on the collective experience and advice of the group here.
5 >
6 > As may be obvious to many of you, the address this message is sent
7 > from "...@×××××××××××××××××.net" isn't really a fully functional
8 > address. Email sent to that address will be forwarded by the
9 > sourceforge system to a personal address I specify. When I send a
10 > message "From: " that address, however, I cannot send it through the
11 > sourceforge system, as I don't actually have an email account with
12 > them. Currently, I send it through my gmail account. That works
13 > because I added that address in my gmail Settings under "Accounts and
14 > Import" / "Send mail as:". To set it up, gmail sends a message to
15 > that address, and I click on a link in the message to prove it does
16 > come to me. That's been working find for a long time, but, ...
17 >
18 > I'm trying to move away from gmail. Especially for mailing lists
19 > like this one, if I send a message to the list, I never see that I
20 > get the message from the list, because gmail refuses to show it in my
21 > inbox because it's a duplicate of a message already in my sentbox.
22 >
23 > I do have an email account with privateemail.com (thorough
24 > namecheap.com) but they are unable or unwilling to have a similar
25 > setup. I'm not even sure they actually understand what I'm asking
26 > of them, but I've wasted more than enough time trying.
27 >
28 > So - I'm asking if anyone can recommend an email service provider
29 > that understands this and will let me set it up. I have my own
30 > domain, but namecheap.com does seem willing to have the appropriate
31 > DNS record point to a different email provider. At this point, I'm
32 > not interested in running my own email server. I currently only need
33 > two mailboxes, maybe a small number more in the future, but this is
34 > personal, not commercial. I don't need to do bulk emails, maybe up
35 > to a dozen or so recipients. I do NOT expect it to be free, but cost
36 > is at least some consideration. I don't need huge storage limits, as
37 > although I use IMAP access when on the road, when I'm home, I use
38 > POP3 to download everything. I'd also like at least minimal control
39 > over spam filtering, mainly to let almost anything through for me to
40 > filter locally. If privateemail.com has false positives for
41 > everything from some sender (such as ups.com, for example) I need to
42 > open a ticket with them to add a whitelist. No such thing as
43 > clicking on "Not spam" and apparently no intent to ever do so.
44 >
45 > Thanks for any suggestions.
46 >
47 > Jack
48
49 Why not just build your own? You can get a very small EC2 instance for
50 pretty cheap. Then pick your poison exim/postfix/dovcot/roundcube or
51 whatever.