From: Bruce Hill <daddy@×××××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo is so AWESOME
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 00:05:32
1 On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 07:48:19PM -0400, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2 > On 07/30/2013 02:16 PM, hasufell wrote:
3 > > And we need MOAR devs
4 > >
5 > > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/handbook/handbook.xml?part=1&chap=2
6 > > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Gentoo/Staffing_Needs
7 > >
8 > > so awesome! srsly!
9 > >
10 > > What many people don't seem to get is: you don't need to be a commit
11 > > monkey doing your 100+ commits per week.
12 > > Our minimum rate of commits is pretty low before you actually are forced
13 > > to retire.
14 > >
15 > > Better have a lot of devs each one focussing on a few packages than
16 > > having few devs working on the entire tree and messing up things randomly.
17 > >
18 > > It's not that much work, just some regular attention. You want to join!
21 > (old rant)
22 >
23 > I would like to become a developer. I already proxy maintain a few
24 > packages, and have a few more in sunrise that I could take care of. I
25 > could also triage bugs in my spare time.
26 >
27 > But, there's no process to do so.
28 >
29 > I want to become a dev, what's my next step? There is none. Help out,
30 > and maybe someone will notice you? Ok, I'm on it. Been doing it for
31 > years, and I know several other people in the same situation. It doesn't
32 > work, and recruitment numbers are plummeting.
33 >
34 > There needs to be an explicit, documented process. And someone devoted
35 > full-time to mentoring new recruits. I can think of no better long-term
36 > investment of the foundation's money.
37
38 Let me second this post. Some months ago after much prodding by someone high
39 up in the Gentoo organization, I tried to take the $PATH. Michael's post above
40 is, IMO, _very_ kind considering what I went through. In the middle of my
41 _tests_ the whole system broke down.
42
43 For 7 years before coming to Gentoo I was with Slackware. Never wanting any
44 public recognition, most of my patches just went straight to the #2 guy. Pat
45 did sometimes name me in ChangeLogs, but mostly I was allowed to contribute in
46 the background.
47
48 Gentoo could use an overhaul, especially in the area of communication skills,
49 _most_ especially for those devs whose first language is _not_ English.
50
51 Just my 2c ... no time atm anyway ... RL demands me to make $ for bills.
52
53 Don't take my quick, casual comments as criticism of Gentoo as a GNU/Linux
54 distro. For those who have some knowledge, it's far and above the best! But
55 the foundation needs to take a look into revamping this area.
56
57 Cheers,
58 Bruce
59 --
60 Happy Penguin Computers >')
61 126 Fenco Drive ( \
62 Tupelo, MS 38801 ^^
64 662-269-2706 662-205-6424
65 http://happypenguincomputers.com/
66
67 A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
68 Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
69 A: Top-posting.
70 Q: What is the most annoying thing in e-mail?
71
72 Don't top-post: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_post#Top-posting