From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can't ping remote system
Date: Sat, 07 Sep 2013 15:42:19
1 On Thursday 05 Sep 2013 14:17:14 Grant wrote:
2 > > +1 on Alan's hunch. I have not used Squid to comment on the specifics
3 > > and also Grant stated that another proxy gave him similar symptoms.
4 > > From my limited knowledge a proxy could be stalling because of cache
5 > > configuration problems, like running out fs space, or inodes and also
6 > > running out of memory if it has to process simultaneous requests from
7 > > too many clients at a time. If the problem also manifests when the
8 > > clients are within the same subnet, then this is unlikely to be a
9 > > network issue.
10 >
11 > Which hunch was that? I snipped a lot above but I couldn't find it in
12 > there.
13
14 It was Alan's statement that this problem is not related to your AT&T router.
18 > It's just one user (me) and I've fiddled with the cache (including
19 > disabling it) and at least fs space and memory are good.
20
21 OK, this points away from your proxy configuration then. I noticed you
22 mentioning that the problem is manifested with a different proxy application,
23 points to a network problem, unless the cache fs set up is exactly the same.
24 As long as you have enough disk space and enough inodes, plus enough RAM, then
25 all points to a network problem.
28 > > If all other causes are eliminated then a network related problem could
29 > > be associated with TCP Window Scaling - but this would primarily show up
30 > > on the transmission of larger files. This is why I initially asked if
31 > > the problem shows up on video/audio downloads rather than small web
32 > > pages.
33
34 I have to come back to this. I tried the www.google.com/nexus/ you mentioned
35 and noticed that the page eats up 1.3MB to load fully, before it starts
36 downloading a flash video. So seems to be a relatively large amount of data
37 that brings up this problem and this could point to tcp window scaling.
40 > I've tried all of these with no noticeable change:
41 >
42 > echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn
43 > echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_no_pmtu_disc
44
45 This should be *disabled* (double negative). PMTU discovery is necessary if
46 any nodes are using smaller than the default 1500 byte ethernet MTU value. So
47 you better set it as:
48
49 echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_no_pmtu_disc
52 > echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_window_scaling
53
54 This is typically enabled, but if you notice that a connection stalls and then
55 later on it works fine again, it could be related to a firewall/router not
56 responding as it should to tcp_window_scaling. In this case disabling this
57 would fix the problem when traversing problematic nodes.
58
59 If you saw no difference, this suggests that window scaling is not an issue.
62 > Not that anyone here should bother to read it, but here's a link to my
63 > thread on the squid list where I tried all kinds of stuff:
64 >
65 > http://squid-web-proxy-cache.1019090.n4.nabble.com/squid-3-3-5-hangs-the-en
66 > tire-system-td4660893.html
67
68 I read it and if the squid experts say it is a network problem, then it could
69 well be - although the network problems can be more difficult to diagnose and
70 resolve.
73 > I think at this point I'm hoping that putting the server's
74 > modem/router into bridged mode so it will respond to pings will clear
75 > this up.
76
77 Well, we don't *know* that the router is the cause of the problem - yet.
78 Setting it up in fully bridged mode and exposing your desktop directly to the
79 Internet will definitely eliminate the router, because it will only be dealing
80 with ATM packet encapsulation.
83 > I think that's conceivable if the modem/router is also
84 > failing to return Fragmentation Needed since its MTU is 1492. Testing
85 > the proxy from within the server's LAN as you suggested in my other
86 > thread could also be informative. Please let me know if there's
87 > anything else I should try.
88
89 I would start with the simplest tests first, which involve isolating suspect
90 system components one at a time. Trying to use the same laptop-desktop
91 machines within the LAN, takes the router out the equation - full 1500 byte
92 MTU will be used by both laptop and desktop.
93
94 If that works as intended then setting the router into fully bridged mode will
95 eliminate that node and any problems that it may have with tcp window
96 extensions.
97
98 Troubleshooting public nodes becomes more difficult, unless you happen to
99 travel around and use networks that bypass the suspect nodes. For all we know
100 it could be the particular hotel firewall/router that is causing the problem.
101 ;-)
104 Regards,
105 Mick