From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Multiseat -- LTSP?
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 00:50:50
1 On 30 January 2012, at 17:41, Grant wrote:
2 >> ...
3 >> Can you rely on Xorg devs to ensure that they are not going to break your
4 >> multiseat system in the future?
5 >
6 > Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't know why there would be (much) more
7 > likelihood of regression with Xorg multiseat than with anything else,
8 > including LTSP and all of its dependencies.
9
10 Because fewer people are testing it.
11
12 You can get low-powered Linux systems for $100 or $150 - either a little MIPs ShivaPlug or (I guess) a secondhand atom nettop (Acer Revo).
13
14 If you save 2 hours per machine by using a standard and common thinclient configuration, then the hardware has paid for itself.
15
16 If you have to employ a Linux sys admin to help you fix a complicated problem with Xorg multiseat, then it will run you at least $100 or $150 for those 2 hours. That's how you should be valuing your own time, too.
17
18 Stroller.