From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Debian just voted in systemd for default init system in jessie
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2014 21:57:29
1 On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 02:29:48PM +0100, Tom Wijsman wrote
2
3 > http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Procmail
4 >
5 > "The mailing list etiquette requires people to CC all the people
6 > involved in a particular thread in replies to the mailing list, in case
7 > any of them is not subscribed."
8
9 How does one send email to *THIS* list, without being subscribed in
10 the first place? A bugzilla mailing list is a different matter. A web
11 form bug submission goes to a list, which the submitter is probably not
12 subscribed to. Developers do need to CC their replies to the original
13 submitter to let them know what's happening. But I'm not aware of any
14 such mechanism on this list. If someone is involved in a thread here,
15 then they've obviously subscribed here. So the CC: is redundant.
16
17 Speaking of procmail+formail, I use them to tame the lists that follow
18 Chip Rosenthal's ideas. E.g., if this list did that, I would use...
19
20 :0 fhw
21 * ^X-BeenThere: gentoo-user@lists\.gentoo\.org
22 * !^Reply-To: gentoo-user@lists\.gentoo\.org
23 | formail -i "Reply-To: gentoo-user@lists\.gentoo\.org (Gentoo users)"
24
25 I do this to the few lists I run into that I want/need, which blindly
26 follow Chip's ideas.
29 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
30 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications