From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Prelink on a already fast system
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 02:05:58
1 On Tue, 2011-02-15 at 09:32 -0600, Dale wrote:
2 > Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
3 > > On 02/15/2011 01:45 AM, Dale wrote:
4 > >> I was curious. I have this new rig and was wondering if prelinking would
5 > >> help any. It's a 4 core AMD 3.2Ghz CPU with 4Gbs, soon to be 8Gbs, of
6 ..
7 > >> Thoughts? Opinions? Personal experience?
11 from 'man prelink'
12
13 'prelink is a program that modifies ELF shared libraries and ELF
14 dynamically linked binaries in such a way that the time needed for the
15 dynamic linker to perform relocations at startup significantly
16 decreases. Due to fewer relocations, the run-time memory consumption
17 decreases as well (especially the number of unshareable pages). The
18 prelinking information is only used at startup time if none of the
19 dependent libraries have changed since prelinking; otherwise programs
20 are relocated normally.'
21
22 So I would not expect much gain from fast storage such as an SSD, and
23 also the linker would hopefully have gotten smarter as well, perhaps
24 making prelink redundant. From an "average system" some time ago when
25 prelink first hit gentoo, it made a huge difference in startup times on
26 the likes of openoffice when I did timimgs.
27
28 All my systems are prelinked these days, and I have not the time to do
29 any tests - is someone able to do before/after tests on some common, but
30 slow loading apps and post here?
31
32 Settle this one way or another :)
33