From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] libreoffice cannot use oxygen theme
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 09:17:10
1 On 19/08/2013 10:10, Wang Xuerui wrote:
2 > 2013/8/19 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>:
3 >> NOT upgrading icu on a whim also comes with massive user benefits:
4 >>
5 >> such as, for example, NOT having to rebuild every damn huge piece of
6 >> software on the box every other week just coz icu decided to change how
7 >> something is done and shove it into a point release. Again.
8 >>
9 >> </rant over>
10 >
11 > Sure...
12 >
13 > And if you choose to not rebuild things you end up putting a whole lot
14 > of packages into @preserved-rebuild, which shows up *every* time
15 > emerge completes. Well, I basically get over this by simply ignoring
16 > them, but the length of @preserved-rebuild output usually forces me
17 > into emerging it every 2 weeks or so.
18 >
19 > And just consider how much CPU cycles are lost in frequent qtwebkit,
20 > webkit-gtk and chromium rebuilds...
23 webkit* updates have slowed down recently so I'm not too bothered about
24 that. But chromium, that thing drive me to tears, now I just use
25 google-chrome.
26
27 I don't always need the latest icu - 7-bit ASCII satisfies all my daily
28 needs :-) So I can afford to mask anything after the current version and
29 just leave it as-is until it suits me to rebuild things.
34 Alan McKinnon
35 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com