From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] 'su' missing
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2020 03:25:10
My practice for many years has been to have a root terminal running,
which I start via 'konsole' + 'su'.  After a system update + reboot,
I am confronted with :

  Warning: Could not find 'su', starting '/bin/bash' instead.
  Please check your profile settings.

  499: ~> su
  bash: su: command not found

I always start from a raw terminal & use 'startx',
so hopefully I can still login as root & do system things that way,
but can anyone suggest what might have caused this problem ?
-- one pkg which was updated was 'shadow' : might that be the cause ?

BTW no-one else has physical access to this machine,
so leaving a root terminal running does not endanger security.

--
SUPPORT     ___________//___,   Philip Webb
ELECTRIC   /] [] [] [] [] []|   Cities Centre, University of Toronto