From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Creating KVM image using existing gentoo partition
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2012 22:43:41
1 On Tue, 25 Sep 2012 15:33:25 -0700
2 felix@×××××××.com wrote:
3
4 > Got a new laptop at work,, running Linux instead of Mac, yay!
5 > Unfortunately, it comes with Ubuntu installed, boo! But I split the
6 > 500GB drive into two parts, began a gentoo install in the second
7 > half, and now I am stalled.
8 >
9 > The main purpose of the laptop is to run Centos 6.2 in a KVM image so
10 > it can simulate production as much as possible. As much as I dislike
11 > Ubuntu, I really only use it for terminals, Emacs, and Firefox. I
12 > ssh into the Centos image for all that stuff. I'd love to switch
13 > Ubuntu to gentoo and set up my usual fvwm etc instead of that awful
14 > Unity.
15 >
16 > Unfortunately, because I have to leave that Centos image running as
17 > much as possible, I can't take the time to reboot into the gentoo
18 > partition to finish the install, not even on weekends or evenings.
19 > It was ok getting the initial gentoo install started, but that was
20 > only an hour or two. I can't take the time for a real install,
21 > there's work to do.
24 If you ask me, there's your real problem right there. It reminds me of
25 the old adage;
26
27 "How come is there never enough time to do the job properly, but
28 always enough time to do it over when it breaks?"
29
30 Just bite the bullet, shut the machine down and do the install properly
31 - you know you need to do it.
32
33 I can't quite fathom why you think a laptop of all things must be on
34 24/7. if that were true, it would be a server in your data center
35 surely?
36
37 Are you real completely 100% certain that out of 168 hours a week you
38 can't spare 2 to get your tools in order?
43 > So it occurred to me it would be great to create a new KVM image
44 > using the gentoo partition as is for its file system, instead of
45 > creating one out of a file as it did for the Centos image. But I
46 > don't see any obvious options to do that. This is my first time with
47 > KVM, and someone else set up the Centos image using some GUI wizard.
50 > Here be my scurvy dog question(s):
51 >
52 > Is it possible to create a KVM image using an existing gentoo
53 > partition (/dev/sda3) for the filesystem, such that once I get the
54 > gentoo install finished, I can boot directly to the gentoo partition
55 > and not have to purify it or sanitize it after KVM has meddled with
56 > it? (and how do I do this? :-)
57 >
58 > If not, seems like the simplest workaround would be to create a KVM
59 > image from scratch and do a complete install there, then use cp, tar,
60 > cpio, or something similar to copy everything over to the real
61 > partition. But that sounds ugly for some reason.
67 Alan McKinnon
68 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com