From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] I don't seem to have a system log. Help, please!
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2015 09:48:57
1 Hello, Gentoo!
2
3 I've pretty much got my new system up and running. It took me less than
4 a week (compared with the month it took me when I first installed Gentoo
5 a few years ago). The most time consuming bit was getting my email
6 server (qmail) going. I've still got to go through my old
7 /var/lib/portage/world file, and see which packages I had I still want
8 installed.
9
10 However, I don't seem to have a system log. There is no file named
11 /var/log/syslog, or anything like it.
12
13 I've got syslog-ng installed, and "rc-update show" shows that it is
14 in runlevel default. Indeed, there exists /var/run/syslog-ng.pid and
15 /var/run/syslog-ng.ctl. But no /var/log/syslog, if that's what the
16 logfile is indeed called. (The syslog-ng manpages don't make this
17 clear.)
18
19 Do I actually need to configure the name of a log file in
20 /etc/conf.d/syslog-ng? The Gentoo installation guide didn't mention, or
21 even hint at, such being necessary.
22
23 Clearly, I'm missing something obvious here. What is it?
24
25 Thanks in advance for the help.
28 Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).