From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Harddisk trouble ... or not yet?
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 04:31:41
1 On Thu, 2010-05-27 at 11:52 +0800, W.Kenworthy wrote:
2
3 > So something like SMART is the only way for the average Joe to get the
4 > health of a drive.
5 >
6 > Google has lots on this sort of thing
7
8 That sentence is correct in more than one way! "Google the generic term
9 for any web page found via searching on Google" no doubt has lots on
10 this sort of thing, but so does "Google the company".
11
12 I remember reading a SlasDot post about the results of their disk
13 monitoring over the last x years, and they use and monitor a lot of
14 disks.
15
16 *looking*
17
18 Here's the full study: http://labs.google.com/papers/disk_failures.html
19
20 >From the abstract: "...we conclude that models based on SMART parameters
21 alone are unlikely to be useful for predicting individual drive
22 failures. Surprisingly, we found that temperature and activity levels
23 were much less correlated with drive failures than previously reported."
24
25 I recall there were some summaries of this article, but I can't find
26 them right now.
27
28 An interesting read. Basically, you might not be able to get reliable
29 warnings of impending failures.
30
31 Keep Good Backups (so say we all)
36 The naked truth of it is, I have no shirt.
37 -- William Shakespeare, "Love's Labour's Lost"