From: lee <lee@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] snapshots?
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2015 21:14:56
1 Hi,
2
3 soon I'll be replacing the system disks and will copy over the existing
4 system to the new disks. I'm wondering how much merit there would be in
5 being able to make snapshots to be able to revert back to a previous
6 state when updating software or when installing packages to just try
7 them out.
8
9 To be able to make snapshots, I could use btrfs on the new disks. When
10 using btrfs, I could use the hardware RAID-1 as I do now, or I could use
11 the raid features of btrfs instead to create a RAID-1.
14 Is it worthwhile to use btrfs?
15
16 Am I going to run into problems when trying to boot from the new disks
17 when I use btrfs?
18
19 Am I better off using the hardware raid or software raid if I use btrfs?
22 The installation/setup is simple: 2x3.5" are to be replaced by 2x2.5",
23 each 15krpm, 72GB SAS disks, so no fancy partioning is involved.
24
25 (I need the physical space to plug in more 3.5" disks for storage. Sure
26 I have considered SSDs, but they would cost 20 times as much and provide
27 no significant advantage in this case.)
30 I could just replace one disk after the other and let the hardware raid
31 do it all for me. A rebuilt takes only 10 minutes or so. Then I could
32 convert the file system to btrfs, or leave it as is. That might even be
33 the safest bet because I can't miss anything when copying. (What the
34 heck do I have it for? :) )
37 Suggestions?