From: Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] A desparate needs advice!
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2010 10:06:53
1 Hi,
2
3 I have cloned an ~amd64 system which is running happily on a modern
4 Opteron machine to an old Opteron machine. Unfortunately, I've built
5 that system with CFLAGS -msse3 and msse4a and USE-flags sse3 sse4a .
6 Since these instructions are not available on an old Opteron I had
7 to "emerge -e world" which was (is) a real mess and which has taken 3
8 weeks now (not full time, of course)
9 I've rebuilt the kernel (several times) but I cannot boot the machine.
10 When I boot with SystemRescueCD and change root, the machine runs
11 perfectly.
12 The boot process stops after displaying the messages
13 Freeing unused kernel memory: 356 k freed
14 init-early.sh used greatest stack depth: 4376 bytes left
15
16 I have looked at dozens of places which Google returns but I couldn't
17 find a reason. E.g. the kernel is built with amd-64-generic.
18 I've re-emerged sys-apps/sysvinit several times but nothing helps.
19
20 So, has anybody a suggestion on what to try out or how to locate the
21 problem?
22
23 I'm more than grateful for any hints since it could save me another
24 three weeks work.
25
26 Helmut.