From: Zhang Weiwu <zhangweiwu@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] kompozer and arphicfonts
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 02:38:34
1 On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 19:30:23 +0100
2 Zhang Le <r0bertz@g.o> wrote:
3
5 > Hash: SHA1
6 >
7 > Zhang Weiwu wrote:
8 > |
9 > | Now I just switch back to Gentoo and discovered, well, I am not sure
10 > | but looks a bit lag behind on updating portage. I only noticed two
11 > | examples:
12 > | 2. The other package arphicfonts are not developed for years
13 > | neither, a continue effort is the CJK Unifont project. In
14 > | Gentoo still there are only old packages. The new project
15 > | produce Chinese font that is used as default Chinese font in
16 > | Ubuntu.
17 >
18 > Actually more people are using Simsun or Yahei from Windoze for
19 > pragmatic reasons. Also you can try wqy-bitmapfont.
20
21 Yes I knew Simsun, Yahei. My suggestion is if there is an opensource
22 Chinese font with reasonably wide coverage, it should be there for those
23 who want to have it.
24
25 ghostscript-gpl when added "cjk" USE flag, would depend on the years-old
26 arpphic fonts, the best behavior is either tell users to use
27 Yahei/Simsun or use the latest CJK Unifont, not providing the latest
28 enhanced opensource font is pratcially encouraging users to copy
29 propiertry fonts. I think CJK Unifont project has done a lot of hinting
30 work to make it look nice on screen and now it's much more usable on
31 desktop then old arpphic font, it's making sense to avoid user install
32 an old font and say "oh, opensource fonts looks bad" and then go copy
33 the Windows fonts, when they actually got the outdated fonts.
34
35 wqy-bitmap is in an other category. It's usable on the screen but not on
36 word processing. I am using it right now as my default screen font:)
37 Thanks for having it in portage.
38
39 > | By the way I can compile these packages myself and I can contribute
40 > | ebuilds when I got some free time (e.g. in the coming holiday). I am
41 > | just a bit curious on how everything is generally going on in
42 > | Portage.
43 >
44 > AFAIK, Gentoo CJK team is short-staffed.
45 > It's better if you can join gentoo and become a developer, ;)
46 >
47 > If you want to know how everything is going on in portage, you can
48 > check either: http://packages.gentoo.org
49 > or:
50 > http://cia.vc/stats/project/gentoo
51 >
52 > Ad time, ;)
53 > If you have some Chinese related questions, you can easily get an
54 > answer here: http://groups.google.com/group/gentoo-china/
55 > http://www.linuxsir.org/bbs/forum59.html
56 > Also #gentoo-cn on freenode
57
58 Thanks for the information. I'll see what I can do in the coming spring
59 festival and see if I can help.
60
61 Best regards
62 Zhang Weiwu