From: Joshua Murphy <poisonbl@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] please explain this contradictory(?) emerge dependency
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 02:42:59
1 On Sun, Dec 18, 2011 at 8:34 PM, Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
2 > I get dependency problems in my normal update world that I can't
3 > understand.  The entire output is below.
4 >
5 > As far as I can tell gnome-2.32.1-r1 (which is installed) is requiring
6 > packages from gnome-3, which must be wrong.  I don't see any such
7 > dependencies in the ebuild for gnome-2.32.1-r1 and there is an "official
8 > mask list" (which I am using) for those of us who want to
9 > delay installing gnome-3 for a while.
10 >
11 > My conclusion that gnome-2... is requiring gnome-3 packages (which I
12 > know is wrong) comes from two points in the output below.
13 >
14 > 1.  The indenting of the --tree --verbose output seems to say this
15 >    (e.g., the first two lines say gnome-2... depends on nautilus-3)
16 >
17 > 2.  The comments related to mask changes at the bottom say
18 >    evince-3... is required by gnome-2...
19 >
20 > Please help.
21 > thanks,
22 > allan
25 Without doing any digging (I'm 100mi away from my Gentoo boxes and
26 sitting on satellite internet, so SSH is painful), I would presume the
27 packages pulling in those dependencies aren't specifying a maximum
28 version, so it's not that they're "requiring" gnome 3 packages,
29 they're requiring gnome packages and are choosing to use the newest,
30 which happens to be part of 3, meaning the gnome 2 ebuilds would need
31 updated to require version < 3.0 to avoid it automatically, and
32 possibly block on mixing 2 and 3 if the mixing really does give
33 issues.
34
35 In /etc/portage/package.mask (untested, for the aforementioned reasons), add:
36 >=gnome-base/nautilus-3
37 >=app-text/evince-3
40 Joshua M. Murphy
41 Poison [BLX]