From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] Linus Torvalds on systemd
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2014 19:29:14
1 Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > This is highly off-topic, and systemd-related, so if you don't want
5 > your breakfast with a healthy amount of flames, skip it.
6
7 I think this is very much "on Topic".
8
9 > iTWire posted an interview with Linus Torvalds[1], where the Big
10 > Penguin himself gave a succinct and pretty fair opinion on systemd.
11 > The gist of it can be resumed in two lines:
12
13 > "I don't personally mind systemd, and in fact my main desktop and
14 > laptop both run it."
15
16 Here I diagree. I think Linux's position is, hey it's a BIG tent;
17 can't we call get along? Kum_by_yah oh lord, Kum_by_yall......
18
19 Linus admits he rarely codes and does not have the skills he use to...
20
21 > I post it here because several times in the last discussions about
22 > systemd, there was people asking what opinion Linus had about systemd.
23 > I personally don't think Linus particular opinion matters at all in
24 > this particular issue; in general people who likes systemd will
25 > continue to like it, and people who despises it will continue to do
26 > so, for any good, bad, real or imaginary reason. However, I *really*
27 > like several things Linus says in the interview; some juicy bits:
28 >
29 > • "So I think many of the "original ideals" of UNIX are these days
30 > more of a mindset issue than necessarily reflecting reality of the
31 > situation."
32 >
33 > • "There's still value in understanding the traditional UNIX "do one
34 > thing and do it well" model where many workflows can be done as a
35 > pipeline of simple tools each adding their own value, but let's face
36 > it, it's not how complex systems really work, and it's not how major
37 > applications have been working or been designed for a long time. It's
38 > a useful simplification, and it's still true at *some* level, but I
39 > think it's also clear that it doesn't really describe most of
40 > reality."
41 >
42 > • "...systemd is in no way the piece that breaks with old UNIX legacy."
43 >
44 > • " I'm still old-fashioned enough that I like my log-files in text,
45 > not binary, so I think sometimes systemd hasn't necessarily had the
46 > best of taste, but hey, details..[.]"
47 >
48 > • (About the "single-point-of-failure" "argument") "I think people are
49 > digging for excuses. I mean, if that is a reason to not use a piece of
50 > software, then you shouldn't use the kernel either."
51
52 Really? This is idiotic. Anything that breaks down a "fault tolerant"
53 system, has to be removed, or the system is no long "fault tolerant"
54 (pist, it a mathematical thing, no a linux/unix concept. Linus
55 sounds like an *idiot* here. It's not the first time, nor could anyone
56 in his shoes not sound like an idiot on something as fundamental as
57 what cgroups hopes to eventually accomplish. By the way, just for the
58 record, I like the "theory" behind systemd. It's going to take SYSTEMD
59 A LONG TIME to MATURE and become ROBUST.
60
61 cgroups are mature, flexible, robust, well-understood and this is
62 absolutely no reason in hell that folks should ever be force to pick
63 one of the other. If/when "linx" make that decision, it will be just
64 as catastropic as the day Sun Microsystem consolidated ownership
65 of most unix source licenses in a effort (conspiracy) that SCO
66 unix tried to finish by kill the BSD efforts. That was when most
67 folks on the internet migrated to Linux. I think Linux is trying
68 to prevent another (reverse) watershed moment.
69
70 If folks have the choice, then they will stay with Linux. If forced
71 many will leave. The entire affair is AVOIDABLE. systemd, in all
72 it's glory should never force anyone to choose. Choice is the greatest
73 asset of all open source. Many would say, it is the only asset of
74 the open source movement.
77 > • "And there's a classic term for it in the BSD camps: "bikeshed
78 > painting", which is very much about how random people can feel like
79 > they have the ability to discuss superficial issues, because everybody
80 > feels that they can give an opinion on the color choice. So issues
81 > that are superficial get a lot more noise. Then when it comes to
82 > actual hard and deep technical decisions, people (sometimes) realise
83 > that they just don't know enough, and they won't give that the same
84 > kind of mouth-time."
85
86 Retarded comparision of vi vs emac and antoher application. systemd
87 vs the traditional cgroups is an the lowest level of the kernel.
88 Think aobut it by going to 'make menuconfig' in your local source dir.
89 Look at the myriad of low level choices we have. Why the hell is
90 systemd so special that it cannot stand up to other solutions and
91 competition?
94 > It's an interesting read; I highly recommend it.
95
96 I agree. He sound more idiodic than Obama and his "red line". We
97 all know how that turned out.
98
99 CHOICE is EVERYTHING!
100
101 My decision to run a lightweight desktop (lxde, lxqt) and have
102 a mesos/spark cluser across several machines is my choice.
103 Others like KDE becoming the cluster. CHOICE. Exclude cgroups
104 and it will split the community, imho. That said, we all already
105 split across windows, mac, androi, linux, bsd, etc etc so
106 it really does not matter at all, imho.
107
108 But comparing fights over editors and applications to fundamentally
109 preventing cgroups, is beyond idiotic, it imbicilic, imho.
112 Please dont get me wrong, I look very forward to systemd, when I
113 choose to test/use it. I totally reject the idea of being
114 force to use systemd; and for sure, systemd is quite whimiscal on
115 many current issues, if you believe what you read. I file bug 517428
116 on Ftrace. I requested something that is not easy.
117 Ftrace/trace-cmd/kernelshark. Why? Because this is the exact sort of tool
118 combination
119 that will explicitly allow one to collect data on performance and reliabling
120 of systemd vs cgroups situations. When we get this (these) ebuilds
121 we will all be able to test identical system, except for systemd vs cgroups.
122
123 NOBODY is talking about the performance penaly for systemd, because
124 the tools for such measurements, are not being put out to the user
125 communities, imho. Please if I wrong, point me to the fair studies
126 where systemd outperforms a well tuned cgroup system? Please point
127 me to the tools so I can take 2 identical system, except for systemd
128 and cgroups and compare with a wide variety of tests? Published data?
129
130 Linus should make a clear, leadership statement that there will
131 always be a path for folks to use another mechanism besides systemd
132 in the linux kernel; This does not have to be a systemd vs cgroups
133 discussion, but it being presented this way. A clear statement
134 of multiplicity will put this issue to rest once and for all. By not stating
135 clearly was is obvious, many technically astute folks are looking for
136 options. Surely a fork is emminent and it will most likely be
137 the best thing to happen to linux, as the entire kernel development
138 process has become tainted by those with billions of dollars.
139
140 Linus is a wussy, at best!
141
142 > [1]