From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] installing Gentoo in a xen VM
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2014 06:44:05
1 On Monday 29 Dec 2014 02:25:04 lee wrote:
2 > "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org> writes:
3 > > On Thursday, December 04, 2014 11:55:50 PM lee wrote:
4 > >> BTW, can I use xfs for the VM, or will it be difficult to get the VM
5 > >> booted from xfs?
6 > >
7 > > Using PV, not at all. As long as the kernel for the VM has XFS support
8 > > built- in. (This is valid for other filesystems as well)
9 >
10 > Oh that's good to know. I've found that Gentoo comes with ZFS, and if I
11 > can create a ZFS file system from some disks and boot from that without
12 > further ado, that might be pretty cool.
13 >
14 > I tried out the latest Gentoo live DVD ... and I was surprised that the
15 > software it comes with is so old. Libreoffice 3.x? Seamonkey a couple
16 > versions behind?
17 >
18 > Is the software going to be more recent when I actually install?
19
20 During installation you will run 'emerge --sync' which will update portage
21 with the latest and greatest for each package ebuild. Then 'emerge --update
22 --newuse --deep --ask world' will install the latest version of any package
23 you may have installed, or install thereafter in your system (like
24 libreoffice, etc.)
27 Regards,
28 Mick