From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Picking out a printer. Questions.
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2019 10:00:59
1 On Friday, 26 April 2019 18:00:13 BST Dale wrote:
2 > Grant Edwards wrote:
3 > > On 2019-04-22, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > >> On the question of ethernet. [...] Do I plug the printer into the
5 > >> router or do I have to connect it to the puter itself? I think I
6 > >> read somewhere ages ago, on this list most likely, that you plug it
7 > >> into the router.
8 > >
9 > > Yes, that's how it's usually done.
10 > >
11 > >> That way all puters hooked to the router can access it.
12 > >
13 > > Exactly.
14 >
15 > Picking last reply. I got the printer, removed all the shipping stuff,
16 > did the normal setup and got a test page printed from CUPS, in color.
17 > I'm taking this from the CUPS printer page that shows the connection.
18 > It printed from Kwrite and shows as ready for other programs as well. I
19 > would like someone to confirm that this is the best way to have this set
20 > up. I googled and can't find a howto for this. Most everything I found
21 > referenced .rpm and .deb stuff.
22
23 Printers are plug 'n play these days. There is no manual configuration
24 needed, unless your PCs and/or router configurations do not use zeroconf/mDNS.
27 > Lexmark_C2325dw (Idle, Accepting Jobs, Not Shared)
29 > Location: Local Printer
30 > Driver: Lexmark C2300 Series (color, 2-sided printing)
31 > Connection: ipp://192.168.2.6
32 > Defaults: job-sheets=none, none media=na_letter_8.5x11in
33 > sides=two-sided-long-edge
36 > The only way I could find to print is using the ipp thingy, at least it
37 > was the first way I could print successfully. Still, is this the proper
38 > way?
39
40 The printer manual should state what protocols it able to communicate over.
41 Failing this, try to login using its web GUI (usually on port 80) with a
42 browser. There will be some network configuration page where information may
43 be provided on what protocols/ports are available.
46 > P. S. Is there anything special I should do to make sure no one can
47 > access my printer over the internet and do something bad? Does the DSL
48 > modem and router protect that by default?
49
50 When you access the printer over its web GUI set up a password - it should
51 probably ask you for it. In addition, switch off any services you do not use,
52 assuming it offers you such a choice, e.g. SNMP. Finally, disable the WiFi on
53 the printer, if it offers this option.
54
55 Regarding your modem, unless it is NAT-ing fully, like a router would, it will
56 expose your router to the Internet. In any case, your router will isolate
57 WAN-LAN from probing eyes with its NAT - so you should be safe enough.
58 --
59 Regards,
60 Mick