From: Chuck Robey <chuckr@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Domain name registration
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2009 21:10:54
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 James wrote:
5 > Hello,
6 >
7 > I'm looking for suggestions to use for DNS registrars.
8 >
9 > But first a few key points.
10 >
11 > 1. "I" own the domain name exclusively. This means if I want to
12 > change (move) registrars, it's not an issue, except for expenses.
13 >
14 > 2. No bundled packages for space of any kind needed or wanted.
15 > (I'll be running my own server on dedicated connection).
16 >
17 > 3. No DNS restrictions except for the Registrar running
18 > optional secondary (dns) service for me.
19 > I need to run the primary and the secondary DNS servers.
22 > Lots of things have changed since I last did this, so
23 > I'm definitely not interested in "Go Daddy" or any such
24 > monkeyshines or crap. Just registration, and leave
25 > me alone to run my own servers..... i. e. no nonsense.
26
27 I do precisely this, using GoDaddy. I don't see why using a service like that
28 wouldn't be possible to get into what you want. You'd have to make sure, when
29 you set it up, that you didn't ask GoDaddy to supply any other services, but
30 it's certainly possible. I run my own server, I get the name from GoDaddy, but
31 they provide no nameserver services, nor web pages. I used to get it from a
32 different vendor, but their service turned out to stink, so I learned that it
33 takes about a week or two to transfer the name (from X to GoDaddy), because all
34 services (like GoDaddy) need to go to reasonable lengths to make sure that they
35 aren't faked out by frauds. You probably wouldn't really want less.
39 > All suggestions are most welcome. I'm not really interested
40 > in anything free (if there are any strings attached),
41 > but am willing to swap (dns) secondary services for
42 > light bandwidth types of similar DNS secondary services......
45 > Are there any other choices using Gentoo, other than
46 > DJBDNS or bind-9 ? Thoughts?
50 > James