From: Ian Zimmerman <itz@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Slightly OT: FreeBSD migration, what to do with /usr/local
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2017 15:59:45
On 2017-10-12 08:36, Alan McKinnon wrote:

> > A more serious problem is how to find all the situations where > > /usr/local is baked in. It's not as simple as grep because when I > > could, I relied on the implicit PATH which would be configured > > somewhere else, or it might not even be configured - it might be > > compiled in (I think this is the case for some programs in the > > shadow package, and perhaps PAM modules). > > Not sure what the context is here. Are you talking about packages and > ports code, or your own stuff you compiled yourself? > > Either way, what problem were you asking about by writing that > paragraphs?
GNU/Linux packages that set the PATH, on which my script stuff ends up relying. If I just move my scripts to, say, /opt/foobar, and edit the all the occurences of "/usr/local", something will still break because a script that is found now by virtue of the ambient PATH won't be found in the new world. -- Please don't Cc: me privately on mailing lists and Usenet, if you also post the followup to the list or newsgroup. Do obvious transformation on domain to reply privately _only_ on Usenet.