From: Chuck Robey <chuckr@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] eclipse portage package
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 18:10:29
1 Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 7:52 PM, Chuck Robey <chuckr@×××××××.org> wrote:
3 >> I was checking to see what version of eclipse seems to have a portage package,
4 >> and I was kinda shocked that the package seems a bit outdated. 3.4 is the
5 >> current portage package, but eclipse has been at 3.5 for a good while now.
6 >> Seeing as the eclipse website has a linux binary 3.5+ package, unless I've
7 >> overlooked something available from gentoo (I would be overjoyed to have made
8 >> that mistake) then I'm going to be forced to see how to coax portage to allow me
9 >> to use that eclipse site binary package to sub for ALL eclipse packages.
10 >>
11 >> Anyone know how to get portage to make externally supplied binaries to supply
12 >> portage eclipse dependencies? All of the huge number of eclipse plugins can be
13 >> done without using portage just fine, but the eclipse itself, that I would
14 >> really rather use a portage ebuild for installation.
19 > I don't know about installing binary stuff - probably wouldn't work
20 > unless you have exactly the right libraries and what not. Anyway, I
21 > seem to see a 3.5 version masked with ~ . Note that I would unmask it
22 > in portage.keywords and not the way I'm showing it below.
23 >
24 > HTH,
25 > Mark
26 >
27 > mark@dragonfly ~/Desktop $ eix eclipse
28 > * dev-java/ant-eclipse-ecj
29 > Available versions:
30 > (3.3) 3.3.0-r1
31 > (3.4) 3.4
32 > (3.5) ~3.5.1
33 > {elibc_FreeBSD}
34 > Homepage: http://www.eclipse.org/
37 > * dev-java/eclipse-ecj
38 > Available versions:
39 > (3.3) 3.3.0-r3
40 > (3.4) 3.4-r4
41 > (3.5) ~3.5.1
42 > {ant elibc_FreeBSD java6}
43 > Homepage: http://www.eclipse.org/
46 > * dev-util/eclipse-sdk
47 > Available versions: (3.4) 3.4-r2
48 > {doc elibc_FreeBSD java6}
49 > Homepage: http://www.eclipse.org/
52 > Found 3 matches.
53 > mark@dragonfly ~/Desktop $
56 > dragonfly ~ # emerge -pv eclipse-ecj
57 >
58 > These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
59 >
60 > Calculating dependencies... done!
61 > [ebuild N ] app-admin/eselect-ecj-0.3 0 kB
62 > [ebuild N ] dev-java/eclipse-ecj-3.4-r4 USE="-java6" 1,251 kB
63 >
64 > Total: 2 packages (2 new), Size of downloads: 1,251 kB
65 > dragonfly ~ # ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge -pv eclipse-ecj
66 >
67 > These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
68 >
69 > Calculating dependencies... done!
70 > [ebuild N ] dev-python/pyxml-0.8.4-r2 USE="-doc -examples" 0 kB
71 > [ebuild N ] dev-java/javatoolkit-0.3.0-r3 17 kB
72 > [ebuild N ] dev-java/ant-core-1.7.1-r4 USE="-doc -source" 6,828 kB
73 > [ebuild N ] app-admin/eselect-ecj-0.3 0 kB
74 > [ebuild N ] dev-java/eclipse-ecj-3.5.1 USE="ant" 1,268 kB
75 > [ebuild N ] dev-java/ant-eclipse-ecj-3.5.1 0 kB
76 >
77 > Total: 6 packages (6 new), Size of downloads: 8,111 kB
78 > dragonfly ~
81 Mark, I could be responsible for this (the fact that it seems that neither of
82 the things I really wanted to know are covered) because sometimes I am not clear
83 in what I'm asking, so let me try again.
84
85 I need to get an up-to-date version of eclipse working on my gentoo box. First
86 question is, is there a Galileo (3.5+) version of eclipse available as a portage
87 package? I can't find it, so I'd really appreciate a pointer. The only thing I
88 can see is a fairly old eclipse version (I think a year or more out of date).
89
90 Second question, at the eclipse website, I see a binary version of the latest
91 Linux-eclipse (the version I'm after). If I *can't* get a portage package
92 version of Galileo-eclipse, then if I install the binary package (non-portage)
93 from the eclipse website, can I get (and how can I get) portage to consider this
94 package as supplying any dependency which would be otherwise supplied by the
95 latest (ganymede, 3.4+) portage version of the eclipse tool
96 .
97
98 Unless I'm completely misreading your stuff, your examples tell me how to
99 install the (too old) portage version, which is in all cases just too old for
100 me, so my 2 questions boil down to (1) must I?, and (2) How do I?
101
102 Thanks for your time, Mark.