From: Marco Matthies <marco-ml@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] multiple kernel configs
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 01:52:04
1 John Dangler wrote:
2 > I changed some options to the menuconfig (trying to get that splash to
3 > work), and saved the changes to an alternate config file.
4 > I'd like to make a kernel with _that_ config file and keep it separate from
5 > my default 2.6-r12 kernel, since, when the splash causes the panic, I have
6 > some way to get back in.
7 >
8 > How do I compile a new kernel that I can add to the grub.conf with the
9 > alternate config ?
10
11 The kernel config file used for compiling the kernel is called .config
12 So, to compile a kernel with that config file, just replace the .config
13 with your alternate file, saving the old .config of course if you want
14 to keep it:
15 mv .config my-old-config
16 mv my-new-config .config
17 (do this in the kernel source dir)
18 You might have to call 'make clean' before you compile your new
19 kernel, i'm not 100% sure on that -- it won't harm though.
20 You can add as many kernels to your grub config as you like -- you might
21 want to check with the install guide how to do that exactly:
22 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/2005.1/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=10
23
24 Basically, your second kernel gets the same kind of entry just as your
25 first, but you will want to change the title and of course the kernel
26 (the root line should be the same as in the first block). Move your
27 kernel under the name you specified to the same location where your
28 other kernel is, using the name you specified in the config. (you will
29 probably have to mount your /boot partition to do all this naturally)
30
31 I.e. add an extra block something like this to your grub.conf:
32
33 title=Gentoo Linux 2.6.11-r11
34 root (hd0,0)
35 kernel /kernel-2.6.11-gentoo-r11