From: Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Small computing recommendations?
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2016 11:56:32
1 My birthday's coming up in 10 days and my SO and others are wanting to
2 know what to get me for my birthday. I'm slowly growing tired of trying
3 to keep my desktop Gentoo machine lightweight and "clean", so it'd be
4 fun to hack on a little computer that I could possibly DIY a case or
5 other arrangement for. Maybe a file/web server, or a "freetoo" machine
6 where I can experiment with being rigidly FSF-APPROVED or other fun
7 shenanigans.
8
9 I've looked around at the Raspberry Pi 3, the Pocket CHIP (I also have
10 PICO-8 and am hacking something for it), the Pi Zero, and have heard
11 about the Beaglebone and Arduino, though isn't the latter meant for more
12 interactive or robotic thing due to the large array of IO pins?
13
14 If I had the right tools or gadgets, creating my own UMPC would be
15 really fun.
16
17 At a minimum, I would prefer HDMI instead of composite or VGA, though it
18 could be headless and I just use SSH or an Adafruit LCD.
19
20 Any opinions or use cases and stories would be much appreciated. I would
21 prefer running Gentoo on it, but Debian, Mint, or Slackware would be
22 tolerable.
23 --
24 Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
25 OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net
26 fpr: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C 1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6