From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Re[4]: Re: Portage, git and shallow cloning
Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2018 09:16:36
1 On Sun, Jul 8, 2018 at 4:28 AM Martin Vaeth <martin@×××××.de> wrote:
2 >
3 > Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 > It's the *history* of the metadata which matters here:
6
7 You make a reasonable point here.
8
9 > > "The council does not require that ChangeLogs be generated or
10 > > distributed through the rsync system. It is at the discretion of our
11 > > infrastructure team whether or not this service continues."
12 >
13 > The formulation already makes it clear that one did not want to
14 > put pressure on infra, and at that time it was expected that
15 > every user would switch to git anyway.
16
17 The use of git for history, and yes, in general the Council tries not
18 to forbid projects from providing services. The intent was to
19 communicate that it was simply not an expectation that they do so.
20
21 > At that time also the gkeys project was very active, and git was
22 > (besides webrsync) the only expected way to get checksums for the
23 > full tree. In particular, rsync was inherently insecure.
24
25 Honestly, I don't think gkeys really played any part in this, but
26 there was definitely an intent for signature checking in the tree to
27 become more robust. As you point out (in a part I trimmed) it ought
28 to be possible to do this. Indeed, git support for signing commits
29 was considered a requirement for git implementation.
30
31 > >> 4. Even if the user made the mistake to edit a file, portage should
32 > >> not just die on syncing.
33 > >
34 > > emerge --sync won't die in a situation like in general.
35 >
36 > It does: git push refuses to start if there are uncommitted changes.
39 I did a test before I made my post. emerge --sync works just fine if
40 there are uncommitted changes in your repository, whether they are
41 indexed or otherwise. I didn't test merge conflicts but I'd hope it
42 would fail if these exist.
45 Rich