From: "Bo Ørsted Andresen" <bo.andresen@××××.dk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Question on my USE choiche
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 10:30:40
1 On Friday 19 May 2006 09:56, Leonardo wrote:
2 > I already installed Gentoo some time ago, and want to restart
3 > now from zero, to see how much I've learnt in the meantime.
4
5 If by restart from zero mean reinstall then that would be pretty pointless.
6 There are easier ways to get to the same result.
7
8 > My biggest doubt has always been which USE flags to use.
9 > I do a lot of home work with multimedia stuff (audio, video...)
10 > and need also a lot of scientific and programming stuff.
11 > Tiny spare time is used to study networking and such.
12 > So I put together a list of flags, that at first sight looks
13 > huge; here it is:
14
15 First of all it should be noted that use flags are for optional stuff only. If
16 you put -X in your use flags apps that depend on X will still depend on X.
17 Only apps that have optional dependency on X will stop depending on X (e.g.
18 links).
19
20 Further it should be noted that use flags really are your choice. Noone else
21 can really you what you need. Still a (few) comments:
22
23 > USE="
24 [...]
25 > imlib libg++ libwww mad mpeg -nptl pdflib spell
26
27 pdflib has been removed in favor of pdf.
28
29 > truetype-fonts type1-fonts X xml aac aalibaccessibility acpi
30
31 s/libacc/lib acc/
32
33 > guile hal hardened icq idn iee1394 imagemagick imap inifile
34
35 s/iee1394/ieee1394/
36
37 > jabber jack java javascript joistick jpeg jpeg2k kde
38
39 s/joistick/joystick/
40
41 > wxwindows xine xinerama xml xml2 xmms xosd xpm xprint xv xvid
42
43 xml2 is deprecated in favor of xml.
44
45 [...]
46 > First question: is it a good starting point or is it
47 > excessive/unneccessary?
48 A bit excessive, yes. :)
49
50 You have both alsa and oss in your use flags. OSS is deprecated in favor of
51 ALSA and hence if you have alsa enabled in your kernel you really shouldn't
52 need optional oss.
53 Also you have both arts and esd in your use flags both of which serve the same
54 purpose (arts is for kde/esd is for gnome). They are sound daemons that allow
55 several apps to use the sound device even if the sound driver allows only one
56 app at the same time. Yet modern alsa drivers do allow multiple apps to use
57 the sound device at the same time. So IMHO sound daemons are an unnecessary
58 overhead. Therefore I would recommend "alsa -arts -esd -oss".
59
60 Is there a reason why you have "-nptl" in your use flags?? If not and if you
61 do use a 2.6 kernel I recommend you enable it. It is the replacement of
62 linuxthreads and it does perform better.. I actually have "nptl nptlonly" in
63 mine..
64
65 Other than this I don't intend to comment any further on this. You really are
66 the only one who can say what you need. You do have a lot of use flags
67 enabled and some would say that it makes your system bloated.. But it really
68 is up to you.
69
70 > If I avoid putting things in does it mean that if I add them in
71 > a second moment probably some of the installed stuff needs to be
72 > recompiled?
73
74 Yes. Run 'emerge --newuse --deep --verbose --pretend' to see what use flags
75 changed. It the changed flags with a * and a different color if they changed.
78 Bo Andresen