From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Good 'layman' tutorial on IPv4 > IPv6?
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 00:16:00
1 On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 6:16 PM, Paul Hartman
2 <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 4:32 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> On Thursday 19 Jan 2012 15:48:32 Michael Mol wrote:
5 >>> On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 10:37 AM, Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
6 >>> > I have a reasonable grasp of how to use IP addresses etc with IPv4, but
7 >>> > every time I start rading about IPv6 I get a headache...
8 >>> >
9 >>> > Does anyone know of a decent tutorial written specifically to those who
10 >>> > have an ok (but not hugely in-depth) understanding of IPv4, and doesn't
11 >>> > get bogged down in too many technical details, but simply explains what
12 >>> > you need to know to be able to transition to it and use it effectively
13 >>> > *and securely* - and/or how *not* to have to expose your entire private
14 >>> > network to the world (what IPv4 NAT protects you from)?
15 >>>
16 >>> I've been doing IPv6 presentations at LUGs and tech cons, and I'm
17 >>> getting scheduled for a few IPv6 topics at Penguicon...but I'm pretty
18 >>> sure I'm also not the most knowledgeable on this list wrt IPv6,
19 >>> either. Still, what would you like to know? (I can use your questions
20 >>> as fodder and experience for future presentations. ^^)
23 >> Now that IPv6 is enabled by default on Linux, is one meant to duplicate all
24 >> the IPv4 iptable rules also for IPv6?
25 >
26 > short answer: yes :) ip6tables works exactly like iptables, but with
27 > IPv6 addresses.
28 >
29 > longer answer: probably, but it depends on what kind of rules you have
30 > and whether all services you offer (or consume, if you block outbound
31 > traffic) require both IPv4 and IPv6.
32 >
33 > On my server, my rules are simple and just consist of opening certain
34 > ports and dropping everything else. The rules are exactly the same for
35 > IPv4 and IPv6 in that case.
36
37 You do need to be a little more careful with ICMP, though. If you
38 block all of ICMP, you break neighbor discovery and a few other
39 (potentially less important on a server) things.
43 :wq