From: Matthias Bethke <matthias@×××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] X.org V7.0 partial success
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 21:15:19
1 I used xorg-x11-6.8.99 on my laptop so far because its i915 chipset
2 wasn't properly supported in 6.8.2. Now the last update, -r4, broke the
3 support again (or so I read on some forum when I investigated why X
4 wouldn't start any more), so I decided to give 7.0 a try. The usual
5 great Gentoo HOWTOs helped me a lot
6 (http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Modular_Xorg) and apart from a few
7 moanings due to packages missing in package.keywords, things went fine.
8 But then the keyboard and mouse drivers were missing. esearch told me:
9
10 * x11-drivers/xf86-input-mouse
11 Latest version available: 1.0.0
12 Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
13 Size of downloaded files: 214 kB
14 Homepage: http://xorg.freedesktop.org/
16 License: X11
17
18 * x11-drivers/xf86-input-keyboard
19 Latest version available: 1.0.0
20 Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
21 Size of downloaded files: 191 kB
22 Homepage: http://xorg.freedesktop.org/
24 License: X11
25
26 Installing them fixed almost all remaining problems. But the package name puzzles me. Are these originally XF86 modules that x.org just decided to be compatible with, or is the name a copy-n paste error? Should I file a Bugzilla report?
27
28 The remaining problems concern DRM which isn't really essential (I get a
29 "libGL error: open DRM failed (Operation not permitted)) and some fonts
30 that don't seem to be included any more and that I guess I just have to
31 reinstall. So far the modularized X looks promising, I'll do a
32 revdep-rebuild and some more testing tonight. Does anybody have an idea
33 about the DRM issue?
34
35 regards
36 Matthias
39 I prefer encrypted and signed messages. KeyID: FAC37665
40 Fingerprint: 8C16 3F0A A6FC DF0D 19B0 8DEF 48D9 1700 FAC3 7665