From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Installation questions
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 16:01:50
1 Hello,
2
3 I have read that the LiveCD is dead, no mas, ka_put_ski.
6 So I wondering when the installation docs (gentoo handbook)
7 will be modified for Chapter 2: Choosing the Right
8 Installation medium?
9
10 Many of the other installation methods (alternative to the G
11 Handbook) also require CDs, stages and snapshots.
12 No 2009 profile yet?
13
14 I have seen this page as a recommended (on this list) method
15 to install Gentoo: http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page
16
17 Maybe a quick list of instructions how to use it to
18 install gentoo? Maybe a boot-floppy and then get
19 everything from a usb stick< for older i586/P1 systems?
20 Many of the older machines I install gentoo on, do
21 not support usb booting directly?
22
23 Hell, for that matter, I do not know what to tell somebody
24 new to Gentoo, to use to install on a computer now-a-days?
27 Currently, I hack my way through using 2005 and 2006
28 minimal CDs until I find a combo of files/drivers that
29 work for an old x86 arch (K6 and such too).
32 I'd like to learn how other folks are performing Gentoo installations
33 these days. I just used a 2007 minimal cd without incidence, but
34 that seems to fading as a viable offering. I never had any luck
35 with 2008* cds.
38 Maybe a list of really simple steps on a usb stick? or a home-made
39 catalyst CD? Particularly for old 586 and pentium 1 machines. It
40 seems every install on an old x86 arch is a "random walk" to
41 get to a minimal working machine.... They do make excellent
42 firewall and DNS servers.