From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Would emerge --sync remove old profiles?
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 04:32:40
1 On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 1:00 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Saturday 26 April 2008, Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >
4 > > I don't buy that it's my issue created by a long time between
5 > > updates. I could turn on any machine that's sitting in a junk heap or
6 > > back room somewhere. It hasn't been powered up in a long time. I log
7 > > in and want to figure out what's in front of me with respect to
8 > > updates. I type emerge sync and portage deletes files. to me that's
9 > > just wrong.
10 >
11 > Mark,
12 >
13 > This might be worth discussing.
14
15 Alan,
16 This evening I found eix-test-obsolete. It looks to me like while
17 it probably doesn't do all of what we've been discussing it might
18 possibly be helpful. While it doesn't look like it fixes the problems
19 I've been seeing it does identify some interesting inconsistencies on
20 my desktop machine.
21
22 <SNIP>
23 Installed packages with a version not in the database (or masked):
24
25 [D] media-tv/mythtv (0.21_p16944@04/05/2008 -> 0.20.2_p15634):
26 Homebrew PVR project
27 [D] sys-kernel/gentoo-sources (2.6.23-r3(2.6.23-r3)@01/16/2008
28 2.6.23-r6(2.6.23-r6)@01/25/2008 2.6.23-r8(2.6.23-r8)@02/20/2008
29 2.6.24-r3(2.6.24-r3)@03/18/2008 2.6.24-r4(2.6.24-r4)@04/11/2008 ->
30 2.6.16-r13 2.6.19-r5 2.6.23-r9 2.6.24-r3 2.6.24-r4): Full sources
31 including the Gentoo patchset for the 2.6 kernel tree
32 [D] x11-themes/mythtv-themes (0.21_p16505@04/05/2008 ->
33 0.20.2_p14301): A collection of themes for the MythTV project.
34 [1] /usr/local/portage
35 <SNIP>
36
37 Still, if rsync is going to throw things away while making my
38 machine identical to the server then I'm not going to be in great
39 shape.
40
41 Anyway, interesting tool if you haven't seen it. (I'm sure you have...)
42
43 Cheers,
44 Mark
45 --